My Ideas About Growth Mindset

 

I have never heard of Carol Dweck’s method of Not Yet teaching. However, I think it could be really useful, especially to children who have been told they are dumb because they are not doing as well as other students around them. That leads to children giving up and not trying anymore, because what’s the point if you already know what’s going to happen? My parents, especially my mother, have always encouraged problem-solving. I think that ties into Not Yet. If you fail at something, what can you do now to be better prepared to take it again?

I did taekwondo for over a decade. I started when I was five and I stopped when I got my black belt. I remember learning the first form. It’s the simplest one, and everyone around me, including my twin brother, had gotten it already. I had gotten to the point where I was upset every time I was asked to do the form, because I already knew I would not get it right, and that would lead to embarrassment in front of the rest of the class. My parents sat down with me, and they drew it out for me. Every single move was there. My twin did the form over and over again with me, and I was finally able to do it without messing up. After that, I learned the next form before the rest of my class because I knew how to approach it without getting frustrated or upset.

               I am going to do more research about the Growth Mindset method of teaching. I think that not grading traditionally will help the children who already think they cannot keep up with the other children. They will grow up knowing what to do when they encounter problems they cannot solve yet.


                                                        Fixed Mindset vs Growth Mindset

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a WGS Major

Week 7 Story: Brer Fox and the River